CWGA Golf Club
Handicapping Policies & Procedures
Notice to Members Effective March 4, 2020
The Handicap Committee, appointed by officers of our golf club, is responsible for all aspects of the World Handicapping System and the Rules of Handicapping. Our Committee includes a Handicap Chair who has been certified by the Oregon Golf Association. We are obligated and committed to ensure the integrity of each Handicap Index we issue. In the interest of fairness, and because we are compelled by our license with the USGA and The R&A, we will provide education as well as uphold the Rules of Handicapping. While this sounds very serious, these regulations are required so our club can assure equity in our games. More equity equals more fun! CWGA Handicap is Chair, Diane Meyers, committee members are Brenda Hankins, Ginny Moir and Cathi McLain.
The Handicap Committee has set forth the following policies and procedures for all members carrying USGA Handicap Indexes:
- Act with integrity by following the Rules of Handicapping and to refrain from using, or circumventing, the Rules of Handicapping for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage,
- Attempt to make the best score possible on each hole,
- Submit acceptable scores for handicap purposes as soon as possible after the round is completed and before midnight local time,
- Submit acceptable scores to provide reasonable evidence of their demonstrated ability,
- Play by the Rules of Golf, and
- Certify the scores of fellow players.
All acceptable scores must be posted using the following method(s):
Random audits will be performed.
- Posting on the USGA GHIN Phone app
- Posting on your personal computer
- Posting computer at our golf course
- Posting computer at any golf course when playing away
The Competition Committee has determined that the following events will be posted as Competition Scores:
- July 9, 2020 Handicap Competition Round 1
- July 10, 2020 Handicap Competition Round 2
- August 27, 2020 Club Championship Round 1
- August 28, 2020 Club Championship Round
When we are in active season, scores still must be posted if using Preferred Lies.
Disciplinary Actions for failure to post or player manipulating their Handicap Index:
- First failure to post or manipulation of your score will result in a verbal warning.
- Second failure will result in a written warning.
- Third failure will result in the appropriate penalty round issued for scores not posted.
- After your fourth failure to post your score or continued manipulation of your scores, further disciplinary action will be taken as the Handicap Chair / Committee deems fair and equitable.
A player must earn a Handicap Index. No player has an inherent right to a Handicap Index without providing full evidence of ability to our club’s Handicap Committee. The Committee has the ultimate authority and obligation to adjust or withdraw a Handicap Index if it deems it necessary to do so.
OGA Season Dates, Handicap Revisions, Active / Inactive Season:
- Handicap Indexes will be updated daily.
- OGA active handicapping season begins March 1. Last day to post a score is November 30.
- Last official Handicap Index update of the season is December 1.
- No local scores can be posted during the off-season, which is December 1 through the last day of February. Rounds played in sun-belt states must be posted daily.
Please do not hesitate to direct any questions or concerns to:
- Diane Meyers — firstname.lastname@example.org — (503-705-3920)
This is effective March 4, 2020, until changed in writing to the membership.